Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Book Review- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Adding this book to my summer reading list really was a no-brainer. I have a dear friend who recommended the novel to me- a good recommendation should not be overlooked. I'm so glad I took her advice. I found "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" captivating and charming.
The story is made up entirely of letters written mainly by writer Juliet Ashton to her publisher/friend Sydney, best friend Sophie, members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and various others. The structure was inventive and never dull. Juliet's letters were so witty and enjoyable to read. A headstrong, passionate main character made this novel an easy one to emerse myself within and find a character in which to relate.
Another element of this book is the stories told about World War II and the German Occupation of the Channel Island of Guernsey. Many of the stories were heartbreaking- families choosing to send their children to  London for several years so they could escape the hardship of living under German rule, female concentration camp prisoners beaten for having a menstrual cycle, citizens eating rotten potatoes to survive. I felt like Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows created such heroic and brave characters, determined to remain and flourish in spite of the devastation around them. I found myself mourning for these characters and the truth their stories represent.
There is also a hint of romance thrown in for romantics like me.
I absolutely loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment