Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mondays

Since my husband works at a church, Mondays are his sole weekend respite from the demands of his job. Many a week has gone by where my husband becomes a blur seen sparingly by the coffee maker and occasionally sensed next to me in bed. To my family, Mondays are sweet relief and our Sabbath.
For over a year now, Mondays have become even more anticipated and cherished with the addition of a weekly game night with some of our dearest friends, the Roziers. Practically every Monday we put on our game faces, tuck our kids into bed, wrestle up a respectable dessert and play round after round of various card/board games. These nights are precious to me. I get to watch my husband unwind and relax in the safety of good friends. Conversation is always interesting and memorable, touching on important topics like church, books, marriage, and the latest Top Chef episode. I have the venue to try my baking hand at new desserts like Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies. And occasionally, I win a game.
When we first got married and I moved from Milwaukee to Elgin to be with my new husband, I was convinced that I would never again find friendships like I had in Wisconsin. By the grace of the Lord, Joel and I have not only found several life-giving, memory-making, truth-telling friends, but we've nestled into a second family here in Elgin, Illinois. A family that loves Jesus, unusual brownies, and card games.

1 comment: