Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Too early for much of anything

I have this distinct memory from my childhood. I remember many mornings of waking up and tip-toeing downstairs to get a glass of water and then seeing my dad at the kitchen table with all the lights off but one, staring at his Bible. I can't count how many mornings I would sit back out of sight and watch my dad spending time with the Lord. I also can't count how many of those mornings I ended up being the last one ready and receiving the frustration of my siblings for my tardiness. Watching my dad, I was taken by that earnestness he showed and couldn't comprehend why anyone would willingly choose to get up earlier than they had to. He would wake up at 5:00am or sometimes even 4:00am, just to meet with the Lord.
Now I'm the one who gets up in the early hours of the morning to go to work. Each day, I hit my snooze once to give me 5 more minutes of blessed rest. I stumble to the coffee pot in desperation. Often cranky and bleary-eyed, I rush through my morning routine stopping only to kiss my daughter and husband goodbye. No quiet. No prayer. Just me in a rush.
My dad is in education, just like me. When I was growing up, he was a teacher, just like I am now. He had the same time schedule. He had kids to take to school with him. He had the same amount of sleep. And yet, I think he figured something out far sooner than I have. If I claim that God is the Lord of my heart, wouldn't He also be Lord of my morning? If I claim that God provides all that I need, wouldn't He sustain me without the extra 5 minutes of sleep or even coffee? If I claim that the joy of the Lord is my strength, is walking through my classroom doors all huffy-puffy honoring to Him?
So much to contemplate this early Wednesday morning.

2 comments:

  1. Well put Bethany. I understand and need to re-evaluate my daily routine as well, thank you for this helpful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Beth. Been thinking about this a lot myself recently and wondering just when I'm going to get "it" figured out. Thanks for the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete