Friday, March 23, 2012

Grown up stuff.

I will be thirty in mere months, but there are moments when I catch myself believing that I'm still twenty. Surely I'm still that carefree woman with plans every night, wearing my new boots that I blew my whole pay check on. I still look like her...sorta. But then there are conversations and circumstances that plunge me into reality that I am now very much a grown-up and very very much nearly thirty.
Case in point- buying a home. I had no idea how complicated the process of buying a home can be. The ultimate "hurry up and wait," I'm starting to learn. We have found this adorable little house in a nearby town. Yes, the house needs quite a bit of work and yes, it is a short sale which I've heard can be brutal, but the potential in this place is palpable. We put in an offer and are now in our third week of waiting to hear from the bank. Argh.
Case in point two- disciplining a toddler. Our little one is happy and so very sweet. She loves mimicking everything we say. She's also learned to sing this week...really loudly. But what she also seems to adore is to say no to absolutely everything.  Would you like some juice? NO! Would you like to go outside? NO! Did you miss Mommy while she was at work? NO! I know deep in my heart that she doesn't mean NO for everything, especially the part about missing me. She misses me, I just know it. But she LOVES to say no. Living/caring for/disciplining a toddler has taken me to the end of myself more than once and has most definitely reminded me that I am a grown-up.
Case in point three- pregnancy. I went to bed at nine tonight. And now it's midnight and I can't sleep. Goodbye slightly cool girl I once was! You've been replaced with an old, tired, big-bellied woman. A grown-up one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 32. When I visited my husband at his work (a college) I realized for the first time that I couldn't be mistaken for one of the students! Oh boy! I'll blame it on my entourage (3 kids 5 and under and a very large pregnant belly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this the other night too...and my wonderful husband reminded me that I am cool for MY age...he doesn't want 20 year old cool. I am betting you are not quite 30 year old cool...but pretty close. And 30 year old cool is much more fun...(remember dating?)

    ReplyDelete