Friday, March 9, 2012

The search for rhubarb

I blame Chicago's inconsistent, unpredictable weather. Tuesday's sixty degree loveliness ruined me for any more winter. I somehow found myself believing that spring officially had made its appearance. For me, spring's arrival inspires a whole new array of baking options, including strawberry rhubarb pie. I stepped out of my apartment Tuesday morning, felt the warm wind on my face, and instantly dreamed of baking my husband's favorite strawberry rhubarb pie.  I had the recipe, thanks to my mother-in-law, and seemingly had the spring needed for rhubarb to be in season. Tuesday was a wonderful day for so many reasons, but in part to the promise of a homemade pie.
The search began yesterday after naptime. Ainsley and I put on our spring jackets (which brought many a painful squeal from the lady when she realized how cold the air outside was) and prepared for the great rhubarb hunt. We went to three grocery stores with no success. We were dumbfounded. It's SPRING! "Where's the rhubarb?" I foolishly asked several produce workers only to be met with confused looks and snickers. With much disappointment and very hungry bellies, Ainsley and I walked back into our apartment rhubarb-less.
Today brought a renewed determination. I finished teaching, picked up my sweet baby girl, and drove us over to Woodmans, completely confident that I would be exiting with rhubarb. After checking both the produce and frozen fruit sections, I gave up on the rhubarb hunt and decided that an apple pie would have to do- all I needed was brown sugar, which is always in season. I found the ingredient, got in line to pay, and then realized that I only had my credit card with me, which Woodman's does not accept. Braving my embarrassment, I apologized to the cashier, returned my brown sugar, and took my daughter back to the car, all the while realizing that I was a complete dummy...void of rhubarb and brown sugar.
SO, I am putting aside my strawberry rhubarb pie aspirations to be picked up sometime in April...hopefully, spring will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment