Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thankful Thursdays- 9.15.11

For two years now, Joel and I have met once a week with a wonderful small group. Each year the group has looked a little different with new couples joining and old couples filtering out, but for these last two years the group has really been a blessing for us. We always leave our Tuesday night meetings feeling loved and challenged. Our leaders, Trei and Amy, have been such mentors to us. I am very, very thankful for the influence they have had on our marriage and on our spiritual health.
We are now beginning a third year in this group. A lovely new couple has joined and we are studying  pulpit curriculum about becoming stronger disciples of the Lord. This week, our homework was to answer some questions about what area we each desire to grow in our walks with God. I have decided that the aspect of my faith that needs the most attention is gratitude. I used to think of myself as a grateful person- positive thinking, open minded. Lately, though, I feel discontented and truly cranky. I am so far from grateful when I have received so much from the Lord. Foolish, I know.
In thinking of new ways to voice my gratitude I thought that I could add a new element to my blog- Thankful Thursdays. Perhaps "Thankful Thursdays" stinks of cheesiness and English teacher- cliches but I can't help myself. I heart alliteration. SO, Thankful Thursdays will be a weekly opportunity for me to be thankful for the blessings from the Lord I have experienced...starting today.

Today, I am thankful for:
-Coffee dates with old friends. Truth and grace flow nearly as free as the java.
-Yesterday Ainsley took 2 naps. Ahhhhh.
-Last night over late night dinner, Joel and I had a really wonderful chat.
-Timely reminders from God's word. My friend Christina has this amazing gift of knowing the perfect verse to shed light on whatever my mind is consumed with at that moment. I've been processing Hebrews 6:10 since Tuesday, thanks to my sweet friend. I love when the Lord uses someone to speak directly to me.
-To continue, I am thankful for the promises found in Hebrews 6:10-12. God will not overlook the work I do for Him even if no one else sees it.  There is so much joy in knowing that when I am serving my family by doing laundry or preparing dinner, the Lord see my work and is blessed.

A small start to Thankful Thursdays. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment